Sunday, February 14, 2016

The Great Divide

I'm supposed to be on my way to the airport right now to pick up a friend. Unfortunately, winter weather patterns have decided to make such a trek not only inconvenient, but laced with high levels of danger and risk. Thus, I am sitting at home, feeling helpless and worried and inadequate and imperfect. Though I know it's not my fault that the roads are bad, I still feel like I'm letting my friend down and failing to follow through on a sincere and heartfelt promise that I made. I feel like I'm falling short, and having a hard time dealing with that. Hence, this post. 
In pondering these strange feelings that have come over me in the last hour or two, I had a thought come to mind: never has a distance so short (just 40-something miles) felt so immense. Especially since I started driving and have grown accustomed to being able to find a way to anywhere I need to be for anyone I love. Then another thought struck me and the spiritual symbolism inspired and comforted me somewhat.
I had a bishop once who read to us from the epistle of James in teaching about the Atonement of Jesus Christ: "For whosoever shall keep the whole law, and yet offend in one point, he is guilty of all" (James 2:10).
Our subsequent discussion highlighted the fact that God cannot look upon sin with the least degree of allowance, and thus any transgression, no matter how seemingly insignificant, creates an infinite chasm between us and the Lord. It is impossible for us to bridge that gap on our own. However, we don't need to. Christ has already set the way for us to overcome sin and close that infinite divide. It is the process of repentance, made possible by Christ's atoning sacrifice. 
I thought of my feelings, being so close and yet so far from my friend in Indianapolis. That distance feels so intimidating and scary to me. It has reminded me that I don't want to face a similar feeling when it comes to my spiritual divides. I want to eliminate those gaps as quickly and completely as possible. I want to be whole and pure and worthy of fellowship with my Heavenly Father. I will do all things within my power to make sure that is possible. 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment