Friday, October 23, 2015

The Eyes of the World

Every day, I come to appreciate my coworkers more and more. I truly feel very blessed to be working at Hanapin, and I believe I am surrounded by some of the most wonderful, creative, passionate, and hard-working people in the world. It's amazing to me that so many people complain about their jobs and work, and here I find myself not only enjoying my time there, but choosing to spend more time with my coworkers when the day ends. 
I was invited to come to "happy hour" after work, and even though I don't drink, I felt it would be a fun experience and a good opportunity to bond with the team a little more and get to know them better. It ended up being my co-trainee and I, with the two people who just finished training, and the VP of the company. Our HR rep joined late, followed by her husband. It was a pleasant evening overall, and no one made a big deal of the fact that I don't drink. The VP did buy a round of shots for everyone, though, and checked with me to confirm I wasn't drinking. Joe had discovered earlier in the week that I don't drink coffee either, and has been amazed by it. He injected this information into the conversation after shots were ordered, and the girl next to me (who just finished her training) made the comment that I must be so healthy on the inside!! She seemed genuinely impressed with what they must perceive as self-control. I didn't respond, because I didn't know what to say besides "Yes, I am. Thanks, Heavenly Father." In truth, although I've had friends who drink, I've never been out with them when that's the activity. I actually had a good time talking and listening to everyone, but through it all, I felt an overwhelming sense of gratitude to the Lord for His wisdom and His mercy in revealing to us the Word of Wisdom. It has protected me from so many things, and I have felt the power of the blessing promised-- a clear and alert mind. As we walked back to our cars a few hours later, I was relieved not to have to worry about anything clouding my judgement or perception. I still felt a sense of connection and camaraderie, but without any of the weight of conscience attached to it. 
I have never thought about how others must see me, or see members of the church who choose to follow the Word of Wisdom. I always assumed they would look down on me, or think I was sheltered or something. It's amazing how letting myself be in that position--a light in the darkness in a way-- completely changed my perspective. I am forever grateful for this Gospel, and grateful I am choosing to follow it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment